Aspirin-butalbital-caffeine-codeine Oral Capsule
Name: Aspirin-butalbital-caffeine-codeine Oral Capsule
- Aspirin-butalbital-caffeine-codeine Oral Capsule side effects
- Aspirin-butalbital-caffeine-codeine Oral Capsule serious side effects
- Aspirin-butalbital-caffeine-codeine Oral Capsule how to use
- Aspirin-butalbital-caffeine-codeine Oral Capsule drug
- Aspirin-butalbital-caffeine-codeine Oral Capsule used to treat
- Aspirin-butalbital-caffeine-codeine Oral Capsule is used to treat
Highlights for aspirin-butalbital-caffeine-codeine
ASPIRIN; BUTALBITAL; CAFFEINE; CODEINE (AS pir in; byoo TAL bi tal; KAF een; KOE deen) is a pain reliever. It is used to treat tension headaches.
This drug can cause serious side effects. See which side effects you should report to your doctor right away.
Know how to use your medication, and learn what might happen if you miss a dose.
Talk to your healthcare provider if you have any of these conditions.
Know what to watch for and get tips for reducing your risks while taking this drug.
Aspirin-butalbital-caffeine-codeine Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- ringing of the ears
- signs and symptoms of bleeding such as bloody or black, tarry stools; red or dark-brown urine; spitting up blood or brown material that looks like coffee grounds; red spots on the skin; unusual bruising or bleeding from the eye, gums, or nose
- signs and symptoms of low blood pressure like dizziness; feeling faint or lightheaded, falls; unusually weak or tired
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- dry mouth
- nausea, vomiting
- stomach pain
Aspirin-butalbital-caffeine-codeine May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- antihistamines for allergy, cough and cold
- certain medicines for anxiety or sleep
- certain medicines for bladder problems like oxybutynin, tolterodine
- certain medicines for blood pressure, heart disease, irregular heart beat
- certain medicines for depression like amitriptyline, fluoxetine, sertraline
- certain medicines for Parkinson's disease like benztropine, trihexyphenidyl
- certain medicines for seizures like phenobarbital, primidone
- certain medicines for stomach problems like dicyclomine, hyoscyamine
- certain medicines for travel sickness like scopolamine
- certain medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like warfarin, enoxaparin, dalteparin, apixaban, dabigatran, and rivaroxaban
- general anesthetics like halothane, isoflurane, methoxyflurane, propofol
- local anesthetics like lidocaine, pramoxine, tetracaine
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
- medicines that relax muscles for surgery
- NSAIDs, medicines for pain and inflammation, like ibuprofen or naproxen
- other aspirin and aspirin-like medicines
- other narcotic medicines for pain or cough
- phenothiazines like chlorpromazine, mesoridazine, prochlorperazine, thioridazine
How to Use aspirin-butalbital-caffeine-codeine
Take this medicine by mouth. Swallow it with a full glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. If the medicine upsets your stomach, take the medicine with food or milk. Do not take more than you are told to take.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed. Caution should be used in children, especially teenagers, that have the chicken pox or flu.What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- brain tumor
- drink more than 3 alcohol-containing drinks per day
- drug abuse or addiction
- head injury
- heart or circulation problems
- hemophilia, von Willebrand's disease, low platelets, or other bleeding problems
- kidney disease or problems going to the bathroom
- liver disease
- lung disease like asthma or emphysema
- peptic ulcer disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to aspirin or salicylates, butalbital or other barbiturates, caffeine, codeine or other opioid analgesics, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Tell your doctor or health care professional if your pain does not go away, if it gets worse, or if you have new or a different type of pain. You may develop tolerance to the medicine. Tolerance means that you will need a higher dose of the medicine for pain relief. Tolerance is normal and is expected if you take the medicine for a long time.
Do not suddenly stop taking your medicine because you may develop a severe reaction. Your body becomes used to the medicine. This does NOT mean you are addicted. Addiction is a behavior related to getting and using a drug for a non-medical reason. If you have pain, you have a medical reason to take pain medicine. Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take. If your doctor wants you to stop the medicine, the dose will be slowly lowered over time to avoid any side effects.
There are different types of narcotic medicines (opiates). If you take more than one type at the same time or if you are taking another medicine that also causes drowsiness, you may have more side effects. Give your health care provider a list of all medicines you use. Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take. Do not take more medicine than directed. Call emergency for help if you have problems breathing or unusual sleepiness.
Too much aspirin can be very dangerous. Do not take aspirin or medicines that contain aspirin with this medicine. Many non-prescription medicines contain aspirin. Always read the labels carefully.
This medicine can irritate your stomach or cause bleeding problems. Do not smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol. Do not lie down for 30 minutes after taking this medicine to prevent irritation to your throat.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol may interfere with the effect of this medicine. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Children may be at higher risk for side effects. If your child has slow breathing, noisy breathing, confusion, or unusual sleepiness, stop giving this medicine and get medical help right away.
This medicine will cause constipation. Try to have a bowel movement at least every 2 to 3 days. If you do not have a bowel movement for 3 days, call your doctor or health care professional.
Your mouth may get dry. Chewing sugarless gum or sucking hard candy, and drinking plenty of water may help. Contact your doctor if the problem does not go away or is severe.Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children. This medicine can be abused. Keep your medicine in a safe place to protect it from theft. Do not share this medicine with anyone. Selling or giving away this medicine is dangerous and against the law.
This medicine may cause accidental overdose and death if it taken by other adults, children, or pets. Mix any unused medicine with a substance like cat litter or coffee grounds. Then throw the medicine away in a sealed container like a sealed bag or a coffee can with a lid. Do not use the medicine after the expiration date.
Store at room temperature below 25 degrees C (77 degrees F).