Aflibercept Injection

Name: Aflibercept Injection

How should this medicine be used?

Aflibercept injection comes as a solution (liquid) to be injected into the eye by a doctor. It is usually given in a doctor's office. Your doctor will give you injections on a schedule that is best for you and your condition.

Before you receive an aflibercept injection, your doctor will clean your eye to prevent infection and numb your eye to reduce discomfort during the injection. After your injection, your doctor will need to examine your eyes before you leave the office.

Aflibercept injection controls certain eye conditions, but does not cure them. Your doctor will watch you carefully to see how well aflibercept injection works for you. Talk to your doctor about how long you should continue treatment with aflibercept injection.

Other uses for this medicine

This medication may be prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.

What should I do if I forget a dose?

If you miss an appointment to receive aflibercept injection, call your doctor as soon as possible.

What side effects can this medication cause?

Aflibercept injection may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

  • feeling that something is in your eye
  • teary eyes

Some side effects can be serious. If you experience any of these symptoms, call your doctor immediately or get emergency medical treatment:

  • eye redness or pain
  • eye sensitivity to light
  • decrease or changes in vision
  • bleeding in or around the eye
  • seeing ''floaters'' or small specks
  • injection site pain
  • seeing flashes of lights
  • chest pain
  • shortness of breath
  • sweating
  • slow or difficult speech
  • dizziness or faintness
  • weakness or numbness of an arm or leg
  • rash
  • itching
  • hives
  • difficulty breathing or swallowing

Aflibercept injection may cause other side effects. Call your doctor if you have any unusual problems while receiving this medication.

If you experience a serious side effect, you or your doctor may send a report to the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program online ( or by phone (1-800-332-1088).

In case of emergency/overdose

In case of overdose, call your local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. If the victim has collapsed or is not breathing, call local emergency services at 911.

Commonly used brand name(s)

In the U.S.

  • Eylea

Available Dosage Forms:

  • Solution

Therapeutic Class: Ophthalmologic Agent